- This event has passed.
WOOLLY WEEKEND AT SHEPHERD’S CROSS
April 25, 2014 @ 10:00 am - April 26, 2014 @ 7:00 pm
Walk through the barn and observe the shepherds and shepherdesses shearing. This is the real
thing! This is not a speed competition, but the work of a real working shepherd.
- Come Experience this “Sheep to Shawl” event. Watch as the wool is shorn from the sheep (a simple
hair cut!), and is made in to usable products – a shawl or other wool product – right before your eyes –
washed, spun, and woven. This is an actual sheep to shawl event – where the first wool shorn for the
weekend is actually made in to a finished product that weekend.
- There is no charge for this event. Donations are accepted (recommended donation $2 per person).
- Please Note: Even in the event of rain, Woolly Weekend will proceed in the tour barn.
- Shepherd’s Shop will be open, offering a great collection of woolly and farm related gifts. Many items
are hand crafted by local artisans; we are a Made in Oklahoma company.
- Demonstrations throughout the day on spinning wheels, washing wool,weaving on looms, knitting,
crocheting, wet felting, needle felting, drop spindling, carding and other wool crafting.
- A professional caterer will be offering samples of our 100% natural grass fed lamb meat. We have
been practicing sustainable agriculture for many years.
- Visit the Farm Museum – upstairs in the gambrel roof barn
- The Bible Garden will be open for mini-tours – with tour guide every 30 minutes – or as a self guided
tour. Over 300 plants in Shepherd’s garden are found in God’s Word, the Bible; we currently have a
handbook and placards that describe 100 of these. A self guided audio tour is available – simply pick
up the audio in the tour barn upon your arrival.
- Children’s Activities – including coloring sheets, games & weaving
Woolly Weekend is open on April 25 and April 26 from 10a – 7p.