A demolition crew, knocked down and hauled away the Mason Center on Tuesday September 3rd.
The Mason Center at the downtown city block between J.M. Davis Blvd on the west and Lynn Riggs Blvd to the east and Will Rogers Blvd to the south was torn down to make way for a new CVS Pharmacy that will open later this winter.
It’s the second time in the location’s history that the block has been entirely demolished. In 1986, the Mason Hotel was taken down and replaced by the Shops at Mason Center.
The block housed the first brick building in Claremore. Will Rogers’ Father, Clem founded the First National Bank in Claremore in 1884 at the corner of the block that is now Will Rogers Blvd and J.M. Davis Blvd.
Because the passenger train station was across the street, the block housed four different hotels from 1890 to 1917 the Main, Lindell, Elk and the Mason Hotel. J.M. Davis bought the Mason in 1916. Shortly after that he bought the entire block and expanded the Mason second floor to cover the entire block. He rented the lower level to several businesses over the years such as, a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership at the southwest corner, a dress shop, Foster Twist’s barber shop, Huffman Real Estate, Dave Collision’s Indian Store and the Greyhound Bus Station. Before Davis purchased the hotel Walker Brothers Furniture and the Platt Ford dealership were in the southeast corner and city hall was above the First National Bank on the second floor.
Mason Hotel Interior
Mason Center Before
Mason Center Sept 3, 2013