- Claremore Garage Sales this Weekend
- You Know You Relate to at Least SOME of These!
- It’s a New Season for Leadership Rogers County in Claremore!
- Claremore High School Takes Traditional Fundraising “To the Mats”
- Fall Break Open House Listings in the Claremore Area
- You’re Invited to Claremore’s Market Square Dental Open House!
- Claremore Hosts Speed Skating Competition
- Tie Your Shoes
- This event has passed.
The Handmaid’s Tale Presentation
September 24 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Attend this event and enter to win a copy of Season 1 of The Handmaid’s Tale on DVD or the book!
The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian novel by Canadian author Margaret Atwood, originally published in 1985. It is set in a near-future New England, in a totalitarian state resembling a theonomy, which has overthrown the United States government. The novel focuses on the journey of the handmaid Offred. Her name derives from the possessive form “of Fred”; handmaids are forbidden to use their birth names and must echo the male, or master, who they serve.
The Handmaid’s Tale explores themes of women in subjugation in a patriarchal society and the various means by which these women attempt to gain individualism and independence. The novel’s title echoes the component parts of Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, which is a series of connected stories (“The Merchant’s Tale”, “The Parson’s Tale”, etc.).
The Handmaid’s Tale won the 1985 Governor General’s Award and the first Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1987; it was also nominated for the 1986 Nebula Award, the 1986 Booker Prize, and the 1987 Prometheus Award. The book has been adapted into a 1990 film, a 2000 opera, a television series on Hulu, and other media.